Bible Images and Biblical Archaeology Illustrations by Balage Balogh
- Nobody has seen Biblical places and Biblical events depicted like this before.
- Reputed to be exacting in both content and execution, the archaeological art of Balage Balogh has travelled the wide world from museums to video documentaries.
- This site displays a constantly growing collection of illustrations. These images of the ancient eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East are unique archaeological reconstructions related to the architecture of Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt, Biblical Israel, the ancient Greek and Roman world. Relying on sound research using academic and scholarly publications found in the nearby and excellent Johns Hopkins University library, I study and read about every archaeological site and ancient building before I attempt to create an image of it in order to provide the most accurate reconstruction of these Biblical cities and events, thus contributing in a unique way to the field of Biblical Archaeology. I am committed to bringing you the reality of the ancient world not fantastical recreations like many other image sources. For the creation of each Bible illustration detailed archaeological excavation plans are examined, archaeologists in charge of the excavations are consulted when possible, landscape features from photos and Google Earth are referenced and art historical treasures from the world's museums are researched for accuracy. My reconstructions of ancient Greek cities and ancient Roman cities are up-to-date interpretations of current academic knowledge of them.
- Commission new archaeological illustrations or Bible illustrations to create impact in your publications.
- Purchase and download over 220 existing Bible illustrations and historical images of the ancient middle east, the Hellenistic and Roman world for use in your publications video projects, lectures and sermons.
- Prints of Biblical images are available for purchase.
My reconstructions of ancient Israelite architecture as well as that of Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Rome and other civilizations will serve publishers, film makers and laypeople alike.
I began working with archaeologists, scholars and art historians at the Department of Archaeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Albright Institute and the Israel Museum in the 1990s. Soon I worked on projects with universities throughout the United States creating visual reconstructions of ancient biblical sites. My archaeological illustrations appeared in numerous publications worldwide and were part of large scale exhibits internationally.
- The House of the Bronzes: Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Herod's Winter Palace at Jericho: Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- The Birth of Christianity: Israel Museum, Jerusalem
- Dead Sea Scrolls: The Royal Ontario Museum, Canada 2010
- The Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Biblical Times, Discovery Times Square Exposition, New York City, 2011
- The Final Journey of Herod the Great: Israel Museum 2013
- Museum of Jewish History and Tolerance 2013
These are selected publications that feature artwork by Balage Balogh
- "The Complete guide to the Temple Mount Excavations" by Eilat Mazar, 2000
- "The Jesus Dynasty" by James Tabor, Simon & Schuster, 2004
- "Excavating Jesus" by Jonathan Reed and Dominic Crossan, Harper Collins, 2002
- "The World of the New Testament" by R. N. Holzapfel, E. D. Huntsman, T.A. Wayment Deseret Book Co. 2009
- "The World of the Old Testament" by R.N. Holzapfel, D. M. Pike, D. R. Seely, 2009
- "The Complete Guide to Bible Prophecy" by Stephen M. Miller, Barbour Publishing
- Q&A Encyclopedia of History, New Delhi, India, 2010
- Expert Space, Scholastic Publishing, 2011
- Natur and Cultur: Levande Historia, Sweden, 2011
- "Bible Encyclopedia": Baker Publishers, 2011
- "Archaeology of the Land of the Bible", Anchor Bible Series, Eric Meyers Mark Chancy, Yale Univ. Press, 2011
- Aristo Educational Press Ltd, Hong Kong, 2011
- "Complete Visual Bible": Barbour Publishing, 2012
- "Rose Guide to the Temple": Rose Publishing, 2012
- "Introduction to the Old Testament and the Origins of Monotheism": Cambridge University Press, 2013
- "Exploring the Ancient World": Capstone Publishers, 2013
- "The Cultures of the West, a History": Oxford University Press, 2013
- Smyth & Helwys Bible Commentary, 2013
- "Ascending the Mountain of the Lord" Brigham Young University, 2013
- "Mythology and Culture Worldwide": MCWBM, 2013
- "The Lutheran handbook of the Bible":Concordia Publishing House, 2013
- "Hellenistic Art", Cambridge University Press 2013
- Chaldean Cultural Center: Permanent Exhibition
- The Teaching Company: Gnosticism: From Nag Hammadi to the Gospel of Jesus, 2014
- Television Documentaries
- Discover Channel: The World of Jesus
- Productions Pixcom, Montreal: Trashopolis
- Pioneer Productions, London: The Bible, A History
- Lion TV, London: River Flows West
- Grayscale Productions: Great Empires of the Past
- Red Hot History Inc.: Secret Life of Alexander the Great